April brought us some very chilly weather, lots of torrential rain and wind on our gathering days, so there hasn’t been much to report! On with May now, and it’s time to get serious about gardening. We should be able to get our hands in the dirt for the first time at our plot on the Seventh Day Adventist upcoming this week! We’ve built a cucumber/melon a frame trellis and we’re working on 2 tomato trellises for the salsa garden that we’re planting at the CRC garden.
This past Monday we firmed up our plan for our SDA plot. We’re going to try out a “Three Sister’s Garden” for a third of our garden space to teach the children about companion gardening. It combines corn, beans and squash in mounds that are placed a few feet apart. We’re planning to devote a good patch to potatoes and onions, have another row for beans, and the lots of little plantings in between! Since this is our first year to try out this scale of gardening, we’re willing to give anything a go! Thanks to Pastor Ernie for tilling the soil this week and preparing the garden for our arrival!
As far as seedlings, everything is chugging along. The tomato seedlings have been moved to an unheated greenhouse and we’re currently treating a puzzling case of something we haven’t figured out yet –
We’ve ruled out early and late blight, and it doesn’t look like Septoria Leaf Spot. It resembles more of a leaf spot that you’d find on roses. So far we’ve removed all of the leaves that seem to be affected and sprayed with a homemade solution of baking soda, water, and dish soap. We also tried today a weak spray of Grapefruit Seed Extract because it’s a good fungicide, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral, so we need some good thoughts that the seedlings pull through! Other than those leaves, they are thriving well.
The past few weeks we got a start on melons, zucchini, squash (all kinds), sugar pumpkins, basil and cucumbers. Check back with week for a picture update on everything to do with our gardens!